The origins of the McCafferty-Sweeney Funeral home began on the 2500 block of Lehigh Avenue in the middle 1800’s in St. Anne’s Parish in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia. At that time, the firm was named the Mathieu Funeral Home; it was operated by Thomas Mathieu and his wife Clara. After Tom’s death in 1914, Clara was widowed at age 28 with two small girls, Claire and Miriam.
Clara was granted a widow’s funeral director license in May 1914. In 1919, she married James McCafferty, a widower who worked in the coal and ice business. Clara constructed the present Torresdale Avenue building, moving the funeral home in 1922. Mr. McCafferty died in 1960 and Clara was widowed once again. Clara continued to operate her funeral home with her daughter Miriam Graham.
In 1975, Clara’s grandson, Paul Sweeney, joined his grandmother and aunt in the day to day operations of the funeral home and Clara renamed McCafferty Funeral Home the McCafferty-Sweeney Funeral Home. Miriam passed away in 1979. In December of 2003, John J. Barnes, a local funeral director, joined the firm to assist with the many families that the firm serves.
A fourth generation service provider, the McCafferty-Sweeney Funeral Home of Torresdale Avenue has been community and church dedicated since its establishment. The funeral home’s staff involvement in local organizations, church societies, alumni associations such as Northeast Catholic High School, Father Judge Catholic High School, and LaSalle College High School show their respect and admiration for its community and neighbors. Located in northeast Philadelphia at 6126 Torresdale Avenue , just minutes from South Jersey and at the foot of the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge Philadelphia side, the funeral home is easily found utilizing Interstate 95 exit ramps, U.S. Route 1 – Roosevelt Boulevard, Harbison and Frankford Avenues.
The McCafferty-Sweeney Funeral Home is a modern facility featuring a large chapel and private seating areas, an ADA approved ramp and rest room, large 40 car valet parking lot, and a newly appointed lounge featuring a children’s play area with PBS television broadcasts, children’s movie section, and toys and coloring books to occupy the younger funeral attendees.